Diagnosed with Bilateral breast lumps. No malignant cells. Surgery advised. Proper treatment?

This query is for my wife. She is expected to undergo surgery on Saturday. I wanted to have a second opinion on her ailment and whether surgery indeed is the right option.

She has been diagnosed with "Bilateral breast lumps since February 2007".
k/c/o - Bilateral breast fibroadenomas. Negative for malignant cells.

I will try and attach detailed reports. Kindly respond back by Friday as the surgery is scheduled for Saturday morning.
Posted Wed, 30 May 2012 in Skin Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 2 days later

Thanks for writing in.

I have gone through all the reports of your wife. All the USG are showing well-defined rounded lesions suggestive of fibroadenoma. Considering her age, this is the most probable diagnosis. But some of the lesions have significantly increased in size; one in the right breast is 5 cm now. Though FNAC is suggestive of fibrocystic disease only, because of the size increase, we need a definitive diagnosis.

This can be achieved by lumpectomy (surgery). If the report is benign (non-cancerous), we can just continue following her up.

Overall I feel you are on the right track.
Best wishes.