Diagnosed with Bi-polar. Does depression/bi-polar get worse with age?

I am 66 and was diagnosis with Bi-Polar just a couple of years ago, after being depressed and at times VERY depressed for many, many years (since my teens). My question is, does depression/bi-polar get worse with age?. It seems to me that a can't get "above it" at all any more.
Posted Fri, 26 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

I am happy to announce to you that you can very well "get above" depression. Events as one gets older like retirement, loss of loved ones and some illness could render one feel more depressed. But depression as function of age, that clear definition is consideration is not real.

It is very very possible to go over depression., An important and often neglected aspect in depression management is realizing you can get over it. Drugs are important in your case, but other measures and tips are important that could help you live a far happier and productive life.

Recognizing problems as part and parcel of life itself is so important. One cannot live a life without experiencing some problems from time to time. Never give your self in into such circumstances completely, always try to think of the better part of what comes after the sad moments, which of course is happiness.

Exercise is very important and plays an important role in reducing intensity of depression. having frequent walks or any other physical activity regularly could be of help.

Avoiding isolation and spending time with loved ones is very useful. watching of movies of your choice and reading of interesting pieces could help. Talk to trusted ones and loved ones is so important.

It might be necessary at some point in time to seek the services of a psychologist. They could be of immense help. Respecting the prescriptions of your psychiatrist and presenting your concerns to him whenever you have exchanges could be very helpful.

Thinking because of increased age you might not be able to get over depression is WRONG. The good news is you can, Believe you can and have a positivist look towards life. the few tips I propose could help, but the key rule is realizing and believing you can do it, and getting over it from within.

thanks and hope this helps. Will be very glad addressing any particular concerns if need be. Thanks as I wish you a happy life and good health. Kind regards,

Bain LE, MD.