Diagnosed with Bell's palsy. Prescribed with Pantocid and Wysolone. Does Wysolone have lot of side effects?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
XXXXXXX on 7/11/13 For, the past one week I had a symptoms such as, food whichever I took was not tasty and I had a rough tongue, On the 3rd day, when I woke up in the morning, one side of my face was drooping and was not able to gargle my mouth. I was not able to close my left eye and was watering. I went to a local doctor and told, he immediately told it was Bell's palsy a sort of facial paralysis. He told not to panic, as this was due to single nerve viral infection He prescribed me with some medicines and advised to do some facial exercises. He prescribed me to take 1. Pantocid 1tab daily before food 2. Wysolone 20 1-1-1 5days 1-0-1. 5days 1-0-0 5days 3.Ocuvir 400 -20tabs (Aciclovir) 1-1-1 It is over 4. Nervijen daily one 5. Eye drops That was shocking for me , as I have heard that Wysolone is a very XXXXXXX and has lot of side effects. Please help.
Posted Wed, 27 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer: For short period it is not harmful. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. In Bell's palsy corticosteroid(Wysolone) is given to reduce swelling and inflammation of facial nerve. It minimise nerve damage and thereby improve the outcome. Although it has a lot of side effects but for short period and with judicious use it is not harmful. So do not worry, continue the treatment under supervision of your doctor. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Wishing you speedy recovery... Take care.