Ask a Urologist   »  

Diagnosed with BPH and hydrocele. Periodic invasive drainage a better option? What body fluid in scrotum?

I am a healthy/fit, feeling good, still working 65 year old tennis pro. I have been diagnosed with BPH (being teated conservatively with Flomax and Cialis for now) and a hydocele - swollen left testicle - and it has been recommended I undergo corrective surgery. Is drainage a viable solution? How long did it take for this condition to manifest itself - was it over a very long period of time? If so why not periodic less invasive drainage as necessary. Is the scalpel. And exactly what body fluid is collecting in my scrotum? Thank you.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 14 hours later

Most of the males at the age of 65 shall experience symptoms related to enlargement of prostate and you should not worry about it.

Hydrocele is collection of normal body fluid (lymphatic fluid) within the scrotal sac. The patient needs to be subjected to surgery if it grows too large in size or becomes troublesome. The less invasive procedures usually don't give long term results. A large fraction of patients shall opt for no treatment and shall stay with Hydrocele.

Duration of the Hydrocele collection depends upon the cause. Causes include infection, trauma or congenital.

Hope, this answers your query. I will be available for follow up query.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with BPH and hydrocele. Periodic invasive drainage a better option? What body fluid in scrotum? 1 hour later
How can cause of possible infection be detected (no trauma/congenital?)? Are precautionary anti-biotics an option and recommended? Is there a downside to periodic drainage as necessary?
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 5 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Usually no cause for hydrocele can be ascertained and no investigations help. There is no role of precautionary antibiotics and obviuosly they don't help.

Aspiration of the fluid always has the potential of introducing infection from outside and then the situation shall become messy. I strongly discourage repeated aspirations. According to me the three options for yourself are trial of aspiration once, surgery or no active intervention.

Wish you good health.