Diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis. Had PVD in both the eyes. Eyes are completely red. What to do?

I was diagnosed two years ago, by an opthalmologist, with Ankylosing Spondylitis, after a serious bout with scleritis. Aside from the obvious pain of AS, I've had one eye calamity after another. I've had PVD in both eyes and was warned not to lift anything or stand on my head (?), etc. I've had intermittent sharp pain in my left eye and I saw flashes of light twice (again, PVD). I do have an appointment with a specialist end of the month, but since two days my eyes are red as tomatoes, and nobody can see me. There is no pain or itching at all. There was a small amount of discharge this morning, but it didn't last. Both eyes look very bloodshot. I had a business meeting this morning and was sure people thought I'd tied one on last night. :-) I've noticed that this happens whenever I near the end of a flareup. Is this something I should attend to immediately?
Posted Tue, 11 Jun 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 4 hours later
My Dear,
Thanks for sending your query to us.
In view of your history of AS the chances of this being scleritis are more,but that usually occurs in one eye only,may be bilateral.Since there was some discharge also,this is more likely to be conjunctivitis.
What you have to do is wash your eyes with plain water and put in anti biotic eye drops repeatedly.
You can apply anti biotic eye ointment at bed time for early recovery.
Please do get back to me in case of any further query in this regard.