Diagnosed with ADD. Will it be safe to take retilin?

Hi , I was diagnosed ADD not ADHD . Should I take retilin. I heard there are so many side effect ( Anxiety- sleep ) . I' m small 5.7 and 120 pounds. Thank you for your answer. XXXXXX
Posted Sat, 13 Apr 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 38 minutes later

Thanks for the query     .

ADD, I suppose, you mean as attention deficit disorder (attention problem is prominent).

ADHD, I suppose, you mean attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (attention problem plus hyperactivity both are problematic to the client).

Correct me if I am not right.

Ritalin contains methyl phenydate is useful in improving attention problem

The side effects like sleep problem, anxiety etc. you are mentioning do occur but only in initial period of 1-2 weeks of starting the medication.

Moreover, not necessarily all will have these side effects. If at all, these occur, usually they disappear after 1-2 weeks. In addition, they are not significant and no need to worry.

Your physique has nothing to do with Ritalin as you are now 53 years of old.

In some cases, it may cause some weight loss and decreased appetite.

Hope, I was of some help in addressing your concerns

I am available for further query

Wish you a good health
Follow-up: Diagnosed with ADD. Will it be safe to take retilin? 5 hours later
Thank you for your answer. What do you mean by your physique has nothing to do with Ritalin ? Do you mean I shouldn't take Ritalin because it won't help me focusing better ? Do you mean it has nothing to do with ADD, in other words I don't have ADD? Can you be more specific. Thank you. XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 7 hours later
What I meant by physique was that, looking at your body weight and height, taking ritalin should not be a concern.

Ritalin does help for ADD in improving attention.

Hope this clears your confusion.

I am available for further discussion.

Wish you good luck.