Diagnosed to have mild hepatomegaly. Will a lifestyle change in my diet take care of this?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have been told I have mild hepatomegaly. Will a lifestyle change in my diet take care of this? My doctor is being very vague about what to do. I am in the process of finding a different doctor for a second opinion as we speak. I hope you can help. Thank you in advance.
Denise Grimes
Posted Mon, 1 Jul 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 50 minutes later
The commonest cause of mild hepatomegaly is mild fat deposition in the liver. It can be related to alcohol intake also. If the liver enzymes are within normal limits then there is nothing to worry. Mild dietary modifications will take care of your problem.
The cause of fatty liver is a disorder in the fat metabolism in the liver due to a variety of causes like intake of excessive amounts of fat, alcohol, toxins etc.
Treatment consists of the following:
a. Elimination of the cause
b. Reducing fat intake
c. Increasing the intake of protein
d. Consuming liver tonics such as tricholine citrate and sorbitol along with ornithine compounds.
If left untreated, it can lead to cirrhosis, an irreversible condition.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.