Diagnosed spondylolisthesis, scoliosis with arthritis. Had gastric bypass surgery. Taking gabapentin and celebrex. Reason for back pain?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have diagnosed spondylolisthesis of L4 and L5, as well as scoliosis in the low back with arthritis. The pain can range from aching/nagging to pretty severe. I also get the chills and have goosebumps all over. I have had take gabapentin and a small amount of cymbalta and celebrex, and have some norco to fall back on when the pain is severe, which is fairly often. I have an upcoming appointment with a pain specialist, but I'm afraid of this. And I want to understand why my back spasms even when I just think someone is about to touch me, and why I have the goosebumps.
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
The spasms in your back are the muscular spasms and are likely to be related to arthritic damage and the inflammation in the joints caused by the arthritis. Spondylolisthesis is also associated with a nerve root compression or irritation that can cause goosebumps.
Another cause of your symptoms can be anxiety.
You can get some muscle relaxants prescribed for relief.
Doing a hot fomentation in the affected area will also help in decreasing the spasms. Back strengthening exercises under the guidance of a physical therapist are also recommended.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.