Diagnosed pancreas divisum, worst pain. Will it affect to concieve, treatment for pain?

Hi, I was diagnosed with Pancreas divisum, but my pain keeps getting worse. I am currently deployed and my doctors are not doing much about it and the pain is going down to my ovaries. Is there a change it will affect me to have babies? Do you recommend me to get a second opinion about it? I know is supposively a "birth defect" but I just started having pain a year ago, I want to make sure it is pancreas divisum and not anything else. All my blood test and everything else comes out good all the time, but the pain is terrible. Please help! :(
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.
I understand your concern.
While pancreas divisum is associated with pancreatitis and thus with bouts of abdominal pain, it does not cause severe, unrelenting pain as in your case.
Chronic pain in the abdomen can arise from gastro-esophageal reflux disease, peptic ulcer disease, chronic cholecystitis, stones in the kidney, pelvic inflammatory disease and functional causes.
I would also like to know if you are experiencing any other symptoms like vaginal discharge, burning in the upper part of the chest, or any other symptoms.
I would suggest that your see your general physician and get an ultrasonography of the abdomen done.
Awaiting your reply
Follow-up: Diagnosed pancreas divisum, worst pain. Will it affect to concieve, treatment for pain? 2 hours later
Thank you for your fast response Dr. I am not having any of the symptoms you mentioned, I have really bad pain and I get bad diahrrea, this last week the pain is going to the lower part, and for some reason I have pain like right underneath my left ribs.
Before I deployed the did and ultrasound and didnt see anything abnormal, then they did a CT I think, I had to drink 3 bottles of something white and then they gave me a shot of iodine, thats how the Dr came up with the diagnosis of pancreas divisum.
I went earlier to the hospital on base and they gave me Dicyclomine. It doesnt seem like they are going to do too much about it, but I dont want whatever I have to get worse or affect my reproductive system.
It seems that cause of your pain abdomen may be due to diarrhea.
Now the question is whether you have acute diarrhea which generally lasts 3 to 7 days or chronic diarrhea which is present for more than 4 weeks?
The causes for both types of diarrhea are different.
Acute diarrhea is generally the result of bacterial,viral or parasitic infections while chronic diarrhea may be due to
Irritable bowel syndrome
Crohn's disease
Consuming lot of antacids containing magnesium
Ulcerative colitis
Coeliac disease
Lactose intolerance and so on.
Ideally you should be investigated for the cause of diarrhea if it is chronic.

Your reproductive system is not going to be affected by this,I assure you.
Pain in abdomen can cause the pain to be reflected under your ribs and doesn't look to be a different pathology.
I don't think there should be any doubt about the diagnosis of pancreas divisum
It is your pain abdomen which should be probed.