Diagnosed of Atheresclerotic aorta, Pulmonary tuberculosis and minimal pleural effusion. How serious is it?

Apr 2014

Hi Doctor,

My dad just been diagnosed of Atheresclerotic aorta, PTB, right apex of undetermined activity, minimal pleural effusion and thickenig of base
Posted Tue, 29 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 28 hours later
Brief Answer:
6 month time is taken for ruling out carcinoma.

Detailed Answer:

You didn't give details of investigations. what investigations had been done?
Probably these are results of X-ray(chest) or CT Scan.He need few more investigations.
According to reports there is lesion in right apex of undetermined activity,It should be confirmed by further investigations like PCR if Tuberculosis is suspected.
It may also be infective in etiology so firstly full course of antibiotics should be given.
FNAC can also be done.
Doctor has asked to come after 6 months,I think he/she has carcinoma in his mind.Generally,carcinoma needs follow up after 6 months to see its size increasing or not.His age is 59 years,so carcinoma needs to be ruled out.
Don't be so worried,after detailed workup appropriate treatment can be given.

Other findings like atherosclerotic aorta is age related and is due to calcification in aortic walls.This is age related.
Minimal pleural effusion may be due to many reasons like in your case it may be due to reactionary effusion resulting from activity in right apex.
Thickening of base may be due to past infection and its sequel.

Your dad condition is not serious at present.Without appropriate investigation it is difficult to access.Main concern is ruling out of lung cancer.others can be manged easily.

Hope I have answered your query.
Further queries are most welcome.
wish for speedy recovery of your father.

Take Care