Diagnosed melanoma on forearms. Sentinel node biopsy negative. Opinions about the value of mole-mapping?

Hi I'm a physician myself. I diagnosed a melanoma on my forearm several months ago - it was in a nevus which changed. Fortunately it was <1mm thick at diagnosis, with no ulceration or lymphovascular infiltration. Nonetheless the mitotic rate was 1 and so I had a sentinel node biopsy - which, fortunately, also turned out to be negative. Obviously this is all anxiety-provoking. I am due for review by surgeon and dermatologist every 6 months. Do you have any opinions about the value of mole-mapping? Are they any better than monthly self-exam? Change isn't so easy to see. Nonetheless, I know there is controversy about mole-mapping. Is there anything else I should be doing at this point?
Posted Tue, 9 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 3 hours later
Hello sir,
According to literature daily self examination is much better method. However in my view even mole mapping is the same thing with a better record keeping. Another point is that you have a history of schawnoma, although unrelated but you must be knowing, any tumor is a risk factor for development of other tumors too. I would recommend mole mapping for you.
I would also like to advice you a whole body PET scan. You must be thinking it is unnecessary, but in my practice I have seen few cases where melanoma even after complete resection presented as metastasis, detected on PET.
Let me know if you have any other doubts. I would try my level best to help you. Thank you