Diagnosed kidney disease. Noticed creatinine levels and calculated GFR. Any other factors to determine the stage of kidney disease?

I have a nephrology question. I was diagnosed with kidney disease back in 2009. I have not been told fully where I stand as far as my kidney disease stage. My last appointment I finally asked them and the response I got was "at least stage 2". Thats not really clarifying as to what stage I'm in. So I did some homework. I noticed my creatinine levels in the blood are always between 1.4 and 1.5mg/dL. After calculating the GFR it shows it in the mid to upper 50's which puts me in stage 3. Is there some other factors that the doctor weighs to determine for sure, what stage a person is in?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.
Chronic kidney disease can be classified based on the presence of kidney damage and the GFR,irrespective of the diagnosis.
GFR is calculated using COCKROFT-GAULT EQUATION which provides estimation of creatinine clearance.
other evidences of kidney damage is also seen while estimating the stage and these are proteinuria(protein in urine) ,hematuria(blood in urine) etc.
I have seen your reports and except a slight rise of creatinine,other things are normal.
While a creatinine of 2 mg/dl may be considered a normal in a body builder with heavy muscle mass,a level of .7 mg/dl may indicate a renal damage in an old and frail lady.
You keep in touch with your nephrologist and keep on getting your kidney functions done on regular basis.
I hope to have answered your query however you can revert to me for any further query.
Thanks and best of luck.