Ask a Urologist   »  

Diagnosed having grade 1 hydronephrosis. No symptoms. Need to see Urologist?

Jul 2016

Incidental finding of minimal pelviectasis SFU grade 1 in 10 year old. No symptoms. Does he need to see a Urologist?
Posted Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is isignificant.No treatment needed.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that your 10 years old child is detected to have grade 1 hydronephrosis due to stasis.of Pelvi-Calyceal System of the kidney.l

Stasis of the Pelvi-Calyceal system indicates the peristalsis of the Calyces that propel the urine into pelvis of the kidney.Whenever this peristaltic movement is delayed or slow ,it results into accumulation of urine into calyxes for longer time than normal what is called as Pelvic-stasis. This is congenital in origin and is due to incordination of peristaltic movements .

Since your son who is 10 years old has only grade 1 hydronephrosis you need not worry at all .It is the grade 3-5 hydronephrosis that is to be considered for any active intervention.

This will get corrected itself over a period of time with growing age ..

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you .
Thanks and Regards.