Diagnosed having UTI. Having itchy, tender and swollen bump on ear. Is ti cyst or fatty cells? What could this be?

Hi, I was just diagnosed today with having a UTI. Last night I was outside around ALOT of mosquitos. However, this evening I felt right above my right ear on the bone a bump tender when I press on it not really itchy, feels swollen, I can move the skin that it's on. I also have anxiety, and get worked up alot over things. I cannot tell if it is under the skin or not. As when I go over it with my finger it's bone then bump then bone I wanna say it's about a quarter in size. My concern is, is this suddenly brain cancer a brain tumor? Is it just a lymph node from the UTI, or is it a mosquito bite? Or a cyst, or a cluster of fatty cells? Please help me I'm tempted to jump into my vehicle and drive to the ER.
Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 6 days later

thanks for your health concern. By the description and location, new sudden onset and expossure to mosquito bites, it may be a wheal from a bite, rather than something more worrisome. It may be also an enlarged postauricular lymph node, which in most cases is a benign manifestation from a local irritative reaction. Brain tumors are intracranial, most malignant head and neck masses are painless; I would suggest to take care of the area with a local antinflammatory lotion such as hydrocortisone 1%, and monitor response over the next several days. As I see, you are in ND now, I am in MN and we are getting so much rain that mosquitoes have overpopulated and are really bitting hard

yours truly

Dr Brenes Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN