Diagnosed having UTI. Have a bump above ear, feels swollen. Brain cancer or brain tumor?

ENT Specialist
Hi, I was just diagnosed today with having a UTI. Last night I was outside around ALOT of mosquitos. However, this evening I felt right above my right ear on the bone a bump tender when I press on it not really itchy, feels swollen, I can move the skin that it's on. I also have anxiety, and get worked up alot over things. I cannot tell if it is under the skin or not. As when I go over it with my finger it's bone then bump then bone I wanna say it's about a quarter in size. My concern is, is this suddenly brain cancer a brain tumor? Is it just a lymph node from the UTI, or is it a mosquito bite? Or a cyst, or a cluster of fatty cells? Please help me I'm tempted to jump into my vehicle and drive to the ER.
Posted Mon, 8 Jul 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sreenivasan Narayana 47 minutes later

Your description although elaborate is not very clear. But one thing I can tell you; it is highly unlikely to be a brain tumor! So first thing, be calm. Brain tumor come with a lot of symptoms depending on the area of involvement and will not present so superficially. All those symptoms such as vomiting, headache, eyesight issues, weight loss and many more depending on the region of involvement will appear before something as tiny as a lymph node enlargement is going to affect the person!

It is very likely to be a node in that region. They usually enlarge as the nodes fight against the infection. You should watch for the size in the next couple of weeks. If it settles down, you do not have to worry. As you say it is a quarter size, meaning around 2 cm, you can wait and if it does not settle down, go to a doctor who can check and then suggest few interventions such as fine needle aspiration cytology or a biopsy if required.

So, to summarize, I suggest you calm down. If you still want to rush to the doctor, you can do that as it entirely depends on your personality on how much anxiety you can take.

Follow-up: Diagnosed having UTI. Have a bump above ear, feels swollen. Brain cancer or brain tumor? 10 hours later
It's on the side of my head on the bone that runs behind the ear it's sore.
Answered by Dr. Sreenivasan Narayana 49 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

If it is the bone behind the ear it is called mastoid process. Please check for diagrams in the internet if you are referring to that and let me know. If that is the case then the UTI could have resulted in an ear infection and the mastoid tenderness associated with it.

You may need an antibiotic to cure it if it worsens in the coming days. You may need to XXXXXXX an ENT specialist for a proper examination of your ear and the bone.

Dr Sreenivasan
Follow-up: Diagnosed having UTI. Have a bump above ear, feels swollen. Brain cancer or brain tumor? 1 hour later
Thank you for your response :) if you were to look at this image WWW.WWWW.WW
the bump is in between T B - 20 and G B - 10 the swelling seems to have gone down a bit, now feels about the size of a hard pimple. IDK lol I'm so confused

But there's also a little scab over the top of it so I'm assuming it's either a zit or a bite Thankyou!
Answered by Dr. Sreenivasan Narayana 10 hours later

It is likely to be an infection and hence if is reducing it is a good sign. As the size is very small of that of a pimple and decreasing day by day it should settle down.

Please write back to me in a day or two if the size changes. The only thing I can worry about is abscess etc developing in that area; as the size is reducing even this should not be the case. And as the size is decreasing and you do not have any other symptoms you can safely keep the thought of the brain tumor aside.