Diagnosed having AVM in stomach, report reads gastric petechie. Have vascular ectasia, anemia. Are they all same?

I was told by my doctor that he found AVM's in my stomach, but when I read the report it said gastric petechia(e). Is there a difference, if so what are they? Also what is gastri petechia. I have known through capsule endoscopy that I have vascular ectasia, I was told they are like AVM. I have anemia.
Posted Thu, 21 Jun 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 6 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query
AVM means aterio-venous malformation and suggests any abnormal relation or distribution between the veins and the arteries. Vascular ectasia is another term for AVMs.
Petechie are small skin or mucosal bleeds due to capillary (smallest blood vessels) fragility or low platelets.
Slow ooze can occur from both AVMs and petechie and cause anemia.
Such extensive vascular problems may be seen in some connective tissue disorders or in Heriditary hemorrhagic telengiectasia
So discuss with your GI
Follow-up: Diagnosed having AVM in stomach, report reads gastric petechie. Have vascular ectasia, anemia. Are they all same? 2 hours later
So, the gastric petechia(e) can be the results of AVMs? My platelet level is normal but the MPV is low.
A biopsy was taken, would it determine if HHT is the cause, if not what test could determine the cause of the petechia or AVMs? Is there any treatment?

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 40 hours later
Hi and thanks again,

1. Petechia is commonly due to platelet or endothelial dysfunction. They are rarely seen as part of AVM.

2. Hereditary Hemorrhagic Telengiectasia (HHT) is more of a clinical diagnosis. It is suspected when there is a family history of HHT; history of nasal and gastrointestinal bleed; and AVM seen in gastrointestinal tract, respiratory tract and on the skin. Biopsy may not be of much help here.

As you have not reported any of these, HHT is less likely.

3. AVM can also be seen as a part of various connective tissue disorders.

That being said, clinical history and other laboratory findings can only support the diagnosis. The exact diagnosis whether what you have is a petechia or AVM can be established only by visual examination (endoscopy). No other clinical test can replace the diagnosis established by endoscopy. So discuss with your gastroenterologist.

As far as treatment of the problem is concerned, it involves treating the basic cause - platelet or endothelial dysfunction; associated connective tissue disorder, etc. In addition, AVM can be managed with hormonal therapy, tamoxifen, thalidomide, etc.

Hope this information is enough to guide you to understand your problem and guide you to the proper treatment. Let me know if you need any more help.

Wish you good health.