Diagnosed gastritis. Experiencing the symptoms after eating spicy food. Is it possible to diagnose by symptoms alone?

My doctor diagnosed gastritis a month or so back, I took meds for couple wks ...avoided spicy food alcoholmetc. I felt fine. The last couple of days we have been entertaining so ice had spicier food plus some symptoms are back mildly. We are supposed to be dining out again tonight but in concerned my symptoms will worsen.
My doc seemed to think my first bout was viral but I had been wining and dining more than usual. I'd like to be able to eat and drink normally. Two queries: is it possible to diagnose gastritis by symptom discussion only , and if I take the meds will my symptoms stay at bay? Thankmyou
Posted Wed, 7 Aug 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 14 minutes later

Thanks for asking.

Gastritis is the inflammation of the stomach wall,most of the times triggered by the agents which increases the acidity in the stomach like spicy and hot food, certain drugs, alcohol consumption, cigarette smoking etc.

All these factors in combination or singly can precipitate gastritis,which needs to be treated along with stopping or reducing the offending agent.

The drugs used to treat gastritis do so by increasing the PH of stomach or making stomach less acidic, these drugs needs to be taken for along period of time.

Diagnosis of gastritis is mainly by history or symptoms only, although confirmation is done by upper GI Endoscopy.

If you continue to take the medicines along with taking care of offending agents ,symptoms should improve and the gastritis heals in a period of time.

Plea let me know if you need more information
Follow-up: Diagnosed gastritis. Experiencing the symptoms after eating spicy food. Is it possible to diagnose by symptoms alone? 8 minutes later
Do I need to stop the spicy food and any alcohol, or can I have small amount as long as I am taking the medication?
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 46 minutes later
It is advisable to stop the alcohol and spicy food for quick healing.