Diagnosed fungus infection in ear and husband has fungal infection on chest and abdomen. Is it contageous?

I have just been told I have a fungus infection in my ear. My husband has been told he has a fungus infeciton on his chest and lower abdomen. Are either or both of these contagious? Thank you.
Posted Thu, 10 Oct 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Guru 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Fungal infection is contagious

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for consulting HealthcareMagic!

Fungal infections are of various types. Some are contagious and some are not. Usually fungal infections that occur on skin like Jock itch (Tinea cruris), Ringworm etc are moderately contagious, but some fungal infections like yeast infections are not.

In your case, usually fungal infections inside the ear are spread easily with direct casual contact. In your husband's case, we need to find out the proper type of fungus in order to know whether it is contagious. There are tests to find out the type.

Hope I have answered your query. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

If you like my answers and wish me to answer in future, bring it to my attention: Dr Vasanth. Url link is as follows:
Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Diagnosed fungus infection in ear and husband has fungal infection on chest and abdomen. Is it contageous? 51 minutes later
My husband's fungus is on his chest and has spread. It is also on his lower abdomen and seems to have spread. We are not near our MD, but out of town.
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Guru 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
He needs evaluation and treatment

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up.

Based on your husband's clinical presentation it seems that it is wide spread and sounds like tinea vesicular, a kind of fungal infection which slow spreading. It is not very easily spread by direct casual contact but not impossible. He may need skin scrapings looked in microscope to correctly diagnose. Physical examination is mandatory to start treatment. It would be unethical and inappropriate for me to prescribe you scheduled drugs without doing a proper examination.

Wish you good health.