Diagnosed for chronic sinusitis and took antibiotics and mucolite. Done with CT sacn. Is FESS recommended or can it be cured with medication?

ENT Specialist
Hello Doctor,

I am diagnosed for chronic sinusitis and I consulted a General Physician initially and he gave me antibiotics and mucolite tablet to control the mucous. I had them for couple of weeks and since there was no improvement went to another doctor. He again prescribed me few antibiotics and a week after I started having headaches and mucus turned thick and green.

Went for a xray scan of the sinuses and found that I am facing the sinusitis issue. Went to an ENT specialist and he prescribed me antibiotics and asked me to get a CT Scan. During my second consultation with him, he explained me that I am facing chronic sinusitis and its been infected more than 80% and there has to be intervention to clear the issue and suggested FESS within 3 weeks time.

I wanted a second opinion, so went to another doctor and he told me to stop taking the tablets and prescribed me the new ones attached in IMAG2215.jpg. He told me to take his prescription and come back to him after a week. He also suggested steam inhalation with eucalyptus tablet which was not suggested by other doctors. The other doctors suggested just steam inhalation with plain water only.

I am totally confused on what to do. Is FESS recommended or can it be cured with medication? I am having this issue for the first time.

I also want to know what could the be cause of this? Food Allergy? Bacteria? Virus?

Could you please advice me on this.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Kind Regards,
Posted Sun, 10 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
First Conservative Management

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,

I have gone through your query and images.

The symptoms suggests that you are suffering from the pan sinusitis i.e. involvement of the bilateral maxillary, ethmoid, frontal and sphenoid sinuses.

According to my best of knowledge and personal opinion you may go for conservative treatment for the 3 months regularly , if it is subside in the three months then O.K. otherwise go for the functional endoscopic sinus surgery (FESS).

It is also better to go medical treatment before FESS. Just steam inhalation with plain water is advised to you.

Cause of your disease is bacterial infection. I am unable to find out your image i.e.IMAG2215.jpg.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.