Diagnosed for childhood asthma. On nebulizer. Will the wheezing reduce? Is the medicine good?

My 9 year old daughter has been disgonised for childhood asthama. This started around 6 months ago when a building construction started on my neighbourhood plot. She gets these attacks soon after midnight and continues wheezing until early morning. XXXXXXX to lack of sleep she becomes dull. Doctor has advised me to get a nebulizer at home and Doulin resp. In case of acute wheezing...Boudecort.

Just wanted to check if I am on the right path of treatment. How often can we nebulise her? Any side effects of the medicine?
Posted Thu, 14 Jun 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

I can appreciate your concern for your child. Asthma in childhood is a common disease found in many.

From the history it seems that she has having allergic problem. The main problem is allergy to something, for which she needs anti allergic drugs for a long time. The breathing problem is secondary to allergy.

There is nothing to worry about this. I hope you have consulted a specialist for this like paediatrician or chest disease specialist.

If not done, please visit a chest disease specialist to confirm the diagnosis and have proper idea about further treatment.

Yes, you can safely give nebulizer.Nebulizer should be used when severity of problem is more. In normal cases either oral drugs or preferably rota haler needs to be used.Nebulizer is never used a first line therapy. We normally advise its use when either rota haler or drugs can not control the symptoms.

There is no harm in nebulization, it can be done safely. This can be done as and when required. Frequent need for it calls for review of treatment and adding other medicines as well.

The medicines are also fine and safe. The benefit of nebulizer is that with small dosage you can have good effect.

In general,

Give her good diet XXXXXXX in fruits and vegetables
Try to find the allergen which is causing problem
Give her vaccine as per her age
Avoid strong smell
Discuss with your doctor about medicines for worms if already not given

I hope this helps.

Please accept the answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing her good health.