Diagnosed for Chronic mylegenous leukemia chronic phase, taking Imatinib since then. Now blood count is normal. Suggest?

Excellent

Oncologist
Question
I am diagnosed for Chronic mylegenous leukemia chronic phase with BCR ABL RT-PCR 67.4% blast cell <5% , TLC 0000 in March 13.

I am taking Imatinib since then, Now blood count is normal TLC 4600, BCR ABL RT-PCR 8.29%

Whether I am OK and the disease is likely to be cured and what are risk now
Posted Sat, 5 Oct 2013 in Blood Cancer(Leukemia)

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Disease has responded

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Your disease has responded quite well to imatinib. However, this is not curable, but controllable with treatment. You have continue imatinib for lifetime. Your bcr-abl may come to zero but still you need to continue treatment. Otherwise it may come back. Periodic monitoring is also needed.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.

Follow-up: Diagnosed for Chronic mylegenous leukemia chronic phase, taking Imatinib since then. Now blood count is normal. Suggest? 45 minutes later
Thanks Dr. for your response .Still I am worried as the name of the desease is Cancer which is dreadful.So I need your advise about other than Imatinib what other precautions I need to take and also let me know whether with the imatinib I can survive upto normal expectency or this medicine has only limited control
Whther any other better treatment is available. I am undergoing treatment at SGPGI Lucknow Whether I need to consult some apex level instituition like Tata Memorial and whether they will also use the same line of treatment or may be difference i.e. BMT or Chemotherapy

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry

Detailed Answer:
I am sure you will do well. SGPGI. is a good center and treatment is same allover the world. no need to worry so much.

Follow-up: Diagnosed for Chronic mylegenous leukemia chronic phase, taking Imatinib since then. Now blood count is normal. Suggest? 29 hours later
Whether I need to take boiled water and fully cooked food or can I take normal food . Can I take XXXXXXX dates for increasing Hb, platelets. What about fruits, ice cream, chocolate tea, coffee, biscuits ?

what precautions I have to take. Is there any risk to my children. whether I need to keep myself away to avoid any contact

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
take anything you like

Detailed Answer:
You can whatever you want to (like normal person). There is no risk to your children, no need to keep yourself away from them.