Diagnosed by blood test with severe egg white and egg yolk allergy. Extremely itchy scalp and sinus headaches. Suggest treatment?

Excellent

Allergist and Immunologist
Question
Was diagnosed by blood test with severe egg white and egg yolk allergy last december. Extremely itchy scalp welping hives with clear to bloody ooze that wont stop leaking. runny eyes sinus headaches tingly tounge and roof of mouth. really avoid them Never seems to get better. clears slightly only to return. like bad acne without the puss. all along cheek bones chin forehead and scalp.ocassionally on arms and torso. help claritan helps but i cant seem to get around it.pecans were high on the list as well Have and slight allergy to scallops, brewers yeast and whey. Have fainted twice and the itching makes me crazy its nonstop unless i take the claritin and i can feel it wear off 5 or so hours before time to retake.Makeup makes it worse so does anti-aging cream .
Posted Wed, 6 Nov 2013 in Asthma and Allergy

Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Atopy; needs optimal medical management

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcare Magic.

It seems from your history that you are quite atopic (i.e., tendency for allergies) and have chronic rhinosinusitis/rhinoconjunctivitis.
IgE level is a helpful test to know the degree of atopy.
If IgE levels are very high (>3000 kU/L), indirect testing for allergies with blood tests (specific IgE) that you had will come up positive to several allergens.
Some people tend to get anaphylaxis reactions to foods, while others tend to get recurrent skin infections due to eczema.

You need to treat the eczema, allergic rhinitis with long acting antihistamines, potent steroid creams for skin, and nasal sprays for the nose.
Rosacea should NOT be treated with steroid creams, but with tetracyclines - such as doxycycline.

A patch test is a good way to know if you have any chemical hypersensitivities as not knowing these can sometimes make the skin worse.

Do get in touch with your doctor regarding the medications.

Best Wishes.

Follow-up: Diagnosed by blood test with severe egg white and egg yolk allergy. Extremely itchy scalp and sinus headaches. Suggest treatment? 10 hours later
Numbness and tingling in all limbs is very common and also what ithought was advanced arthritis hurt all day every day has subsided considerable . What makeup does not contain any egg byproducts. also what over the counter pain meds ares suitable they all seem to say they can cause skin hives and blistering

Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Check for ovalbumin in make up contents

Detailed Answer:
Check with your Rheumatologist on the arthritis medications for the numbness and tingling. Non-steroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) can cause skin hives and itching, and if that is the case with you, COX2 inhibitors can be tried.
COX-2 inhibitors include Celecoxib, Rofecoxib etc.

It is difficult to list products that do not contain egg byproducts as I do not have a list. But check for Ovalbumin that is the main egg protein constitutent which should be avoided.

Best Wishes.

Follow-up: Diagnosed by blood test with severe egg white and egg yolk allergy. Extremely itchy scalp and sinus headaches. Suggest treatment? 23 hours later
US biotec did my blood panel Itwas standard food panel IgG. tested high IV almost to V on the egg white and egg yolk, a II on duckegg whole, II on scallops,III on whey,II on milk,II on almonds, high III on pecans, spelt oats and corn almost a II. Accession #0000. Hope this will add to your thoughts for me please.
Thanks XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
IgG tests for foods not recommended

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Thank you for sending me further information regarding the blood tests you had.
IgG - based testing for food allergies (or any allergies for that matter) is NOT recommended.
In fact, there is a specific European Academy paper that is dedicated to these misleading testing strategy and causing high degree of concern among patients, and leading to restrictive diets.
See link below:
WWW.WWWW.WW
The accession number is not much use to me, but given the type of test you had, there is no need for a detailed look.

You need specific IgE (not IgG) against food allergens, and this must be correlated to your clinical condition in order to arrive at a conclusion.

Hope this helps.

Best Wishes.

Follow-up: Diagnosed by blood test with severe egg white and egg yolk allergy. Extremely itchy scalp and sinus headaches. Suggest treatment? 1 hour later
What type of dr should i go to my general practioner or a skin dr. or specialist
what type of dr. should i see

Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Allergist

Detailed Answer:
You should see an Allergist or Immunologist.