Diagnosed breast cancer indicated by micro calcification. Having mastectomy. Do micro calcification indicate early detection?

General Surgeon
Question
I have been dx with breast cancer indicated by micro calcifications in left breast . I am having a mastectomy this week...do micro calcifications often indicate early detection of breast cancer? I had triple negative breast cancer and have been doing well til this dx--no determination of type of brat cancer til post surgery
Posted Sun, 6 Oct 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Biopsy will confirm the type of breast cancer

Detailed Answer:

Calcifications are seen both in benign and cancerous lesions of the breast.
The pattern of calcifications will differentiate these two.
A well experienced radiologist will confirm the type.

As calcifications are produced by breast nodule, I prefer to go with Ultrasound guided biopsy for accurate diagnosis before surgery.

You can ask for this.
Hope i answered your query.

If you have any questions, i will clarify further.
Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Diagnosed breast cancer indicated by micro calcification. Having mastectomy. Do micro calcification indicate early detection? 18 hours later
I have had biopsy and it is cancer. My question and the heart of it has not been answered

Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Type of breast cancer will be in the biopsy report

Detailed Answer:

I apologize if my previous answer was not very clear. Microcalcification has limited role in grading the type of breast cancer. Histopathological study done post surgery will reveal the type of cancer cells whether they are adenomatous / secretory / medullary / ductal types. That is the gold standard to detect the type of cancer. At this point microcalcification alone will not help your doctors to type the cancer.

Hope I answered you query. If you have any doubts,i will clarify further

Wish you good health