Diagnosed bipolar. Seriously depressed and agitated. Having mood swings. What to do?

My son is in need of a psychiatrist. He will not go to the hospital, says they'll just drug him up. He's wants to stay off all pharmical meds. I can't reason with him. He just wants to see a dr. He is 31 years old. Has been diagnosed bi-polar. Is seriously depressed and agitated, took himself off Effexor several months ago. Has been in and out of St. Clares 5 times since he was 16. Has been to many psychiatrists and rehab facilities. Has been off meth for a year. His mood swings are frequent with very highs and very lows. He had a great time on Sat with his cousins at a graduation party. Up in his room now, won't talk. He is on my Oxford Ins and he has Medicaid and SSI.
Posted Sat, 13 Jul 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Nehal Shah 40 minutes later
Thanks for using XXXXXXX
I have gone through your available history.
His symptoms might be due to either of following.
1- Substance induced mood and behavioural symptoms .
2- Bipolar mood disorder .
3- Personality disorder .

In any case , he needs psychiatrist consultation .
He need to take regular psychiatric medication in the form of mood stabilising agents with anti psychotic drug.
if he is not taking drug, doctor may give option of long acting injection or tablets that can be mixed in food out of knowledge of patients . ↲
Counselling and psychotherapy may be of good help particularly despite first and third diagnosis. ↲0I hope I have addressed your concern. Feel free to revert to me in case if you have further query.0Thanks.
Follow-up: Diagnosed bipolar. Seriously depressed and agitated. Having mood swings. What to do? 18 hours later
I understand. But he is not willing to go to a psychiatrist or hosital. He just called me - he is at mall and is confused, he wants me to XXXXXXX him there. Can I as a parent force him to go to the hospital? I know no one will talk to me due to Hippa law. I give him names of doctors, but he gets agitated with them when he calls, or doesn't call back.
Answered by Dr. Nehal Shah 7 hours later
Thanks for reverting to me.

It is indeed a difficult task to take him to psychiatrist as he do not have insight of his illness.

You may take help of counselor for giving insight oriented psychotherapy to make him realize about his illness.

You may consult his psychiatrist on behalf of him. Doctor may give advise to start oral solution that can be mixed without his knowledge.

I hope I have addressed your concern.

Feel free to revert to me in case if you have any query.