Diagnosed as pregnant. How to know the ovulation day?

Question
we went to planned parenthood today 7/3/2012 and was told she is 6 weeks pregnant her LMP was May 21st 2012. I started having a physical relationship with her XXXXXXX 4th 2012 i am curious if they added the 2 weeks like other people do or is it the last guys? or if there is anything i can do to figure out this situation?
Posted Tue, 24 Jul 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 32 minutes later

She had her last period on 21st may. In normal case of 28 days of cycle the fertile days are days of ovulation that is in mid cycle.

In her case it could be any day from 1st XXXXXXX to 6th XXXXXXX as per normal counting. We count the day of ovulation in mid of the cycle that is day 14 plus or minus 2 days. These 5-6 days are fertile for any women.

This is prediction in general; the ovulation can be late or early depending upon the individual. Again those who are having irregular cycles this prediction is quite difficult.

After ovum is released it can survive for 24-48 hours in body.

Any unprotected act during this time can result in to pregnancy.

If we go by this I think the thing is very clear. Apart from this at present there is no test which can determine paternity.

After birth as you know tests can be carried out which can decide the paternity.

I hope this helps and clarifies your concern.

Dr.Pragnesh

Follow-up: Diagnosed as pregnant. How to know the ovulation day? 11 hours later
so what is the 2 weeks that everyone is adding to there dates, she got her LMP on may 21st but everyone is saying 1st - 6th of XXXXXXX But when they calculated it they are saying 6 weeks pregnant , 6 weeks back from July 3rd is May 23rd does that mean she got pregnant on the 23rd? i just dont understand how they come up with the 6 weeks idea. Also, the ultrasound they do at planned parenthood is the probe ultrasound are they going to be able to give weeks and days or just weeks into pregnancy?

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 9 minutes later

Good to hear from you again.

Please understand that duration of pregnancy is calculated from the last menstrual period irrespective of probable date of conception.

She had her periods on 21st may, means one has to count duration pregnancy from 21st may.

In any case there is no way one can perfectly tell the exact date of conception,only presumption can be made.

Ultrasound can surely tell you weeks and days of pregnancy. It is more accurate when done through vaginal route.

Still your doctor is the person who will decide whether to do it through vaginally or from over the abdomen.

I hope this helps.

Dr.Pragnesh

Follow-up: Diagnosed as pregnant. How to know the ovulation day? 4 hours later
My girlfriend has a question , XXXXXXX 15th @ 2am, we went to the hospital for a cough that lasted a couple weeks ( unrelated ). Although they did a pregnancy test at the hospital which came up negative on the 15th of XXXXXXX , does that mean that it couldn't have been conceived in May? We think this because we were told it takes 2 weeks for the hCG levels to raise high enough for a hospital urine test.

a recap

May 21st she got her period XXXXXXX 15th she went to the hospital with a negative pregnancy urine test
July 2nd took a home pregnancy test and it was positive
July 3rd was confirmed at planned parenthood

So, If she was negative on XXXXXXX 15th then she would have to have conceived XXXXXXX 1st at the Earliest correct?

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 6 hours later

Good to hear from you once again.

I can appreciate your concern and will try to explain in simplest possible way.

1. Last date of period: 21st may. Next probable date for period was between 18th XXXXXXX to 20th XXXXXXX Depending upon length of cycle 28-30 days.

2. Probable fertile days: approx.14 days from 21st may(in case of 28 days cycle), that is 3rd XXXXXXX We calculate as +2 or -2 from this date, means the tentative fertile days are from 1st XXXXXXX to 5th XXXXXXX During this time ovulation normally takes place and any relation during this time can lead to pregnancy.

3. Most probably should have conceived during this. Obviously unless missed period the pregnancy test is negative on 15th XXXXXXX
4. After about more then 2 weeks the test was positive on 2nd July.Fair enough. From the mid cycle this is about more then 2 weeks.

This all calculation holds merit only when her periods are regular.

Nothing can tell you the exact date of conception. You can only take a guess from the above information.

Dr.Pragnesh

Follow-up: Diagnosed as pregnant. How to know the ovulation day? 19 minutes later

^ this doesnt make sense to me

my biggest thing right now is if she took a pregnancy test at the hospital on June15th and it was negative. could she have gotten pregnant prior to XXXXXXX 1st

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 13 minutes later

As written earlier also it is not possible to predict exact date of conception by any method.

Before missing periods on 15th XXXXXXX obviously pregnancy test can not be positive.

One can no way predict the day of ovulation. Only calculation can be made from dates of last period.

I am not in position to answer your direct question that whether she has conceived before 1st XXXXXXX From given facts and science I have tried to explain and make things simplify for you.

You can calculate the probable dates from information that I have shared with you and take a guess.

In case you still not satisfied, you can discuss more with the gynaecologist and radiologist who will perform ultrasound.

Ultrasound can throw some more light on this.

Dr.Pragnesh