Diagnosed as Buccal Mucosa tumor. No treatment except alternative medicine. Will the swelling burst?

Poor

Oncologist
Question
My dad is diagonsied as Buccal Mucosa T4 tumor (4.6 cms) we are not taking any treatment at the moment and just taking alternative medicine. His swelling has increased , can you please tell me on how this swelling will react in coming days will it burst or what will happen?
Posted Wed, 30 May 2012 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 3 hours later
Hi

Thanks for writing.
I have gone through your dad's history. Since he has already received surgery and RT/cisplatin and the tumor seems unresectable now, unfortunately it is incurable.

It will certainly progress with time and will fungate (burst) out of the skin. We can try some low dose chemotherapy (methotrexate) to control it for some time but eventualy it will progress.

Focus now should be on symptom control (palliative care) and make it as painless as we can.

Do take care.

Follow-up: Diagnosed as Buccal Mucosa tumor. No treatment except alternative medicine. Will the swelling burst? 38 minutes later
Can you please give more information on the pattern of the swelling and other sympthoms that i might come his way now.

The swelling can increase on any side (inside or outside, up or downwards), it is difficult to predict.

Most important symptom is pain. Others are bleeding, difficulty in eating or breathing, and weight loss.

You should be in touch of a palliative care physician in your city.

Follow-up: Diagnosed as Buccal Mucosa tumor. No treatment except alternative medicine. Will the swelling burst? 2 days later
Hello Dr. Indranil,

yes I am meeting the palliative care physician today. Do you know how much time I have in hand or survival period for my dad.

Thanks in advance for for all your guidance.

Thanks & Regards,
Niyati

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 2 hours later
yes, it is good that you are meeting the palliative care specialist.

On an average I can say that the survival is 6 months which may be more or even less in your dad.

Regards.