Ask a Dentist   »  

Diagnosed an epiliptic. Wear denture. Noticed blood during brushing. What can be the cause?

Hi to you I am a denture wearer. Every morning when I brush my mouth I note that I spit blood. This has been happening for XXXXXXX e time. What is the likely cause
Posted Fri, 12 Jul 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to the XXXXXXX forum.

Thanks for sharing your concern.

Bleeding while brushing could be due to inflammed mucosa(the tissue on which the denture rests). This is due to excessive pressure in particular areas.

This also happens due to tightening of denture due to swelling, caused by excessive dryness of tissues sometimes.

I would suggest you,that for few days ,please use dentures, only when required.Let the tissues heal on their own.

Remove the dentures and do warm saline rinses.Apply antiseptic gum paint and massage your gum tissue gently.

Do this for around five days and then, if you find no changes in the symptoms,then clinical evaluation of your dentures is required.

Your dentist might suggest you for a new set of dentures, after examining clinically.

Also you might require an x XXXXXXX to see, if there is presence of any root pieces,or sharp bony prominence in the jaw.

Meanwhile, please clean your dentures separately, and store them in water when not in use.

Hope i have answered your query.Please let me know for further query.