Diagnosed a urachal cyst. How can it be removed? What is the easiest way to remove it?

my daughter is 5 year old and diagnosed a urachal cyst of 10cm in lenth and 5 cm wide.
how can it be removed?is it important to remove it immediately?what is most easiest an dconvenient methodology available?it is an oval shaped anechoic cyst,location abutting the anterior surface of urinary bledder..No fluid is seen
Posted Thu, 14 Jun 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Chandan Choudhary 25 hours later

Urachal cyst is sinus remnant from allantois during embryogenesis which is between umbilicus and bladder.

It can give rise to pain, fever, and peritonitis. It has also been associated to adenocarcinoma.
In your daughter’s case, I think surgical excision will be the best option as the cyst is quite big.

Two methods are used to remove this – laparoscopic and open surgical excision.

It is better to get it removed as soon as possible even though it is not an emergency.

I usually prefer to do a open surgical excision to remove the urachal cyst.

Hope this helps. Please do write back in case of follow up queries, if any.