Diagnosed Pernicious Anemia. RBC low. Having nausea, memory problem, wobbles, difficulty in finding words. Suggest?

My DR diagnosed me with Pernicious Anemia. Red Blood count very low. I would like an opinion on the symptoms as some match and others differ. Nausea in the morning for 2-3 hours (never vomit) rare occasions during day. Incoherent, memory problems (can"t find letters on keyboard, reach for microwave to get ice). Wobbly, Periodically walk as if drunk. Difficulty finding words, use wrong words. Serious tremors major right hand, minor in left. Can't bring food to mouth with out spilling.
NOW...These symptoms come and go
Posted Tue, 6 Aug 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 5 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

As you may know pernicious anemia is a disorder In which absorption of vitamin B12 is severely diminished. Over a long period of time this can have a significant effect on your blood count. In addition vitamin B12 deficiency can have a host of symptoms that are associated. This might include neurologic symptoms including issues with memory as well as fatigue. Regarding nausea this is not classic but is certainly possible.

I am sure that your doctor has started you on vitamin B12 supplementation. Over several weeks and months you're vitamin B12 level will return to normal. This will lead to a resolution of your anemia. It should also lead to a gradual improvement of most of your symptoms. Your doctor will continue the vitamin B12 supplementation for a long period of time if not forever.

Thank you again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional specific concerns.

Dr Galamaga
Follow-up: Diagnosed Pernicious Anemia. RBC low. Having nausea, memory problem, wobbles, difficulty in finding words. Suggest? 12 hours later
Thank you. What other conditions mimic these symptoms such as those of pernicious anemia?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 hours later
Other conditions which might mimic some of these symptoms include but are not limited to the following:

Thyroid dysfunction, anxiety, kidney or liver failure as well as electrolyte abnormalities.

Thank you once again,

Dr Galamaga