Diagnosed Nystagmus as manifested by BPPV. Taking Acyclovir. What is the treatment beyond Epley maneuver?

BPPV - treatment beyond Epley manuever - ENT has diagnosed nystagmus as manifested by BPPV (Hall-Pike). First course of treatment was 400mg / 5 times daily for 10 days of acyclovir. One theory is that BPPV is a vestibular virus. No recognizable improvement.
Posted Thu, 5 Jul 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 3 hours later

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

The cause of BPPV is often a mystery and in about half of the occurrences of BPPV, the cause is never found. It may be due to minor head injury or because of repetitive head movement like working in front of computers (up and down head movements). Other causes include viral infections,nerve inflammation (neuritis),
complication of ear surgery.

Prevention begins by maintaining good hydration and avoiding rapid movements of the head. Lie down with the head elevated slightly. Drink plenty of fluids. Avoid sudden head movements and body position changes.

A technique termed Brandt/Daroff can be tried to decrease the severity and duration of BPPV, i advice you to speak with ENT specialist about this.

Benign positional vertigo is uncomfortable, but usually improves with time. The most effective treatment is a procedure called Epley's maneuver i advice you to be patient, i know it is difficult but epley's is the most effective treatment.

The cause if possible should be traced and treated. Other medications that can help are antihistamines, anticholinergics, sedative-hypnotics and steroids in case of nerve inflammation.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer