Diagnosed Nanobronchial allergy. Paid huge consultation charges. Suggestions?

Dear Doctor,
One of my cousin has been having allergy problem & he has been visiting a allergologist. The case that I wuld like to share is that he is visiting this doctor for some allergen vaccination for the treatment “Nanobronchial allergy”.
I was shocked to see his charges were very expensive not for the vaccines but his professional charges. As per visit he charges 3000/- as allergen vaccine & professional charges varies from 5000/- to 8000/-.
As there is a duration for the course to be completed for every visit he is charging such fees.
Can you please let me know are these charges genuine specially this professional charges. I really don’t understand how these allergy are treated only by allergologist and not dermatologist.
Posted Mon, 30 Sep 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The charges would vary depending on the condition

Detailed Answer:

You are right that allergy is treated by an Allergist or allergologist and not Dermatologist. Dermatology is a different field from Allergy.

What the allergist usually does is tests the various allergens that could possibly cause an allergy in a particular person. Testing for each allergen is time-consuming and costly too. Also, there is a immunological background to allergies. So, when the immune status of a person is tested, along with possible allergens, and vaccines too, the treatment could be expensive.

It is not surprising to me that the specialist is charging such a fee. I think they are genuine professional charges.

I hope this is clear to you.