Diagnosed LA Grade B esophagitis and gastritis. Prescribed Dexilant. Had upper back pain. Developed developed esophageal cancer?

Gastroenterologist
Question
I had an EGD in October 2012. It diagnosed LA Grade B esophagitis and gastritis. I was prescribed Dexilant - 60 mg. I took this off and on initially, but have taken it everyday for past 3-4 months.

In the past several months, I have had upper back pain which appears to go through to my chest and have more recently noticed "feeling" food as I swallow in what appears to be my upper -mid esophagus area with a slight discomfort.

Could I have developed esophageal cancer within the past 10 months (either type - squamous cell or adenocarcinoma)?

Could pre-cancerous condition have been missed on original EGD?

I am a pretty decent social drinker on the weekends. And have smoked a cigar occasionally.
Posted Wed, 28 Aug 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 5 hours later

It is less likely, that you would have developed esophageal cancer is 10 months time. Precancerous conditions like Barrett's esophagus may be missed sometimes. However, 10 months is too short a period for even a missed precancerous lesion of esophagus to develop in to a cancer that is causing obstruction in the esophagus.
But there are possibilities that you could have a developed a benign narrowing of the esophagus (either a stricture or a Schatzki's ring).

A barium swallow test or a repeat EGD may be done to find the cause.

Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Diagnosed LA Grade B esophagitis and gastritis. Prescribed Dexilant. Had upper back pain. Developed developed esophageal cancer? 2 hours later
The EGD I had in October 2012 also took biopsies of the mucosa in 4 quadrants, the esophagitis and the gastric mucosa. Benign Tissue was what came back in my results.

I am extremely health conscious and these things tend to worry me when I can not find a definitive cause.

I run 8 miles a day X 5 days a week to keep myself in good health and weight

But, I assume you agree that worrying about cancer is not realistic based on previous exam late last year?

Can strenuous exercise make the acid reflux worse? Can Dexilant heal the esophagitis found if I also make some other lifestyle changes (reduce coffee, alcohol)?

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 21 minutes later
Since biopsies were taken and the report came as benign and there was no mention about Barrett's esophagus, it is unlikely that you had even a precancerous lesion in the esophagus.
It is also unlikely that you would have developed a cancerous lesion in 10 months time.

The esophagitis probably would have been due to acid reflux disease.
Yes, exercise especially those that cause contraction of the abdominal muscles can worsen acid reflux disease.

Yes, Dexilant for 8 weeks along with lifestyle changes would heal the esophagitis due to acid reflux disease.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini