Diagnosed IBS, reflux. Endoscopy, blood and stool tests done. Prescribed lansoprazole, omeprazole, colofac. Dry mouth, loss of apetite after stopping medicines. Are more medical tests required?

Question
Hi, I am an 29 year old indian female working in the UK. Last year i was diagnosed with IBS , severe acid reflux , heavy burping. Did an endoscopy, blood tests, stool test. All reports were normal. Endoscopy showed that I suffered from Indigestion. Have been prescribed Lansoprazole, Omeprazole (both 40 mG) , Last two months I was prescribed Colofac for IBS and Pantocid DSR for acidity and Providac for burping. Its been a month now i am not taking any meds. Ever since i stopped taking the meds, I have a really dry mouth, no appetite to eat , my legs ache, feel tired all the time and find it difficult to concentrate. As soon as i begin to eat I feel nauseated and feel like throwing up. My chest feels tight and thats when i know i have to burp , but burps dont easily come out. I have lost weight due to all these reasons and get scared every time I eat how my body will react... Please could any one advise me what to do. Do i need to do more medical tests? I am tired of taking meds as I dont see any improvement... I am also have asthma (diagnosed 3 years ago).
Posted Sun, 1 Jul 2012 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 3 hours later

Thanks for posting your query. The symptoms which you have described can occur possibly be due to acute gastritis, peptic ulcer disease, hiatus hernia (in this a part of the stomach goes above the diaphragm – the muscular partition of chest and abdomen), acute inflammation of the gall bladder due to gallstones (cholecystitis) or acute pancreatitis.

As you have mentioned that the UGI endoscopy is normal, this rules out the possibility of peptic ulcer disease and hiatus hernia .

An ultrasound should be done to rule out the possibility of gall bladder disease. Doing blood tests like serum amylase and lipase should help in ruling out pancreatitis.

A CECT scan of the upper abdomen is the gold standard test to rule out acute pancreatitis.

It makes sense to consult a gastroenterologist for the same .

Drugs like omeprazole and antacids along with prokinetic drugs like domperidone/itopride should help you in improving the symptoms.
Hope this answers your query.

If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.

Follow-up: Diagnosed IBS, reflux. Endoscopy, blood and stool tests done. Prescribed lansoprazole, omeprazole, colofac. Dry mouth, loss of apetite after stopping medicines. Are more medical tests required? 55 minutes later
Thanks Dr Jasvinder XXXXXXX for the quick reply.

I did an abdominal ultra sound after the endoscopy and the results came normal.

I will ask my GP to perform a serum amylase and lipase test and will also see a gastroentrologist.

Omeprazole did not work for me as I was severly nauseated, depressed , had panic attacks and still continue to do so.

Doctor, please could you advise so as to what and what not I should eat . Suggest me food that will help me ease the symptoms. Milk does'nt seem to agree anymore with me. I have lost weight and need to put on more of it.
I cant eat quickly , take a lot of time to eat food, I feel food is getting stuck in my throat when I eat and this is immensely affecting my daily life.

Your suggestions could help me alot.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 12 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

Try the the following lifestyle measures for relief from your symptoms:

1)     Try raising the head of your bed about four inches with blocks.
2)     It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down.
3)     To help control the stomach acid, one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods.
4) Also avoid eating any junk food or oily, spicy food, fatty foods, sugary foods, dairy products, caffeine, beans, raw vegetables, raw fruits, broccoli, corn, cabbage, cauliflower and alcohol.

Hope this answers your query.

Regards.

Follow-up: Diagnosed IBS, reflux. Endoscopy, blood and stool tests done. Prescribed lansoprazole, omeprazole, colofac. Dry mouth, loss of apetite after stopping medicines. Are more medical tests required? 10 hours later
Thanks Doctor for your reply. I will try to follow your points as per your last reply.

I will book an appointment with a gastroenterologist as soon as I can . In the meantime till I get an appointment, could you advise so as to what other tests I can do so that I can inform the gastroenterologist about it.

Could there be a problem with my esophagus ? As I am unable to eat food quickly ?

The food that I cook is not spicy. Regarding your advice on eliminating raw fruits from my diet, I eat a banana, pear and kiwi fruits everyday. Should I stop eating those?

It would be helpful if you could suggest fruits and food that I can eat and are good for me . Your last query briefed me upon food that I should eliminate.

Also in case of my tiredness , very dry mouth and no appetite to eat? Please advise me on some points how to get my appetite back ? And how can I eliminate the tiredness that has recently cropped up.

Is the dry mouth a side effect of the medicines I have been taking?

I really want to get better doctor and your suggestions could help me alot.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 20 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

As mentioned above, you can get an upper GI endoscopy, pancreatic enzymes, ultrasound abdomen and a CECT abdomen done. Hydrogen breath test to rule out H pylori can also be done.

A problem with esophagus is less likely and an upper GI endoscopy should rule it out.

You can take these fruits and take light easily digestible meals.

For tiredness and no appetite, you should get your vitamin D levels checked and if they are less, then you may need vitamin D supplement sachets. Exercise is of paramount importance because it releases endorphins from the body. Hence exercise regularly to improve your appetite. Do not indulge in any drinking or substance abuse.

Hope this answers your query.

Regards.