Diagnosed Cherry Hemangioma on labia majora, vaginal bleeding. Exercise the cause and what is remedy?

I am a retired ED RN and am fairly certain of my dx of cherry hemiamoas on my labia majora. We are "snowbirds" and recently changed our insurance plan which does not kick in until XXXXXXX 1st. so I would prefer not going to the doctor until after that date. However, I have 3 of these that do build up in pressure and sometimes bleed a scant amt into my underwear. Is there anything I can put on these topically to dry them up? And did I get these by beginning an walking exercise program recently?
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 40 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Well I have to answer specifically, as your certainty has to override the skin biopsy report for the diagnosis of Cherry Haemangioma - a peripheral vascular situation.

Medical treatment is simply nonexistent for the same if it is. The cause till date has not been reported in literature. So, exercise alone cannot be blamed.

I advice my patients for cryotherapy, a good alternative to surgery to get rid of the lesions. But, a skin biopsy is mandatory to rule out any other causes.

If you would seek help only after 1st, then I don't think any topical preparation will help to check the bleeding and keratolyse the superficial epithelium if that is what you are expecting. And moreover, it is not advisable, as that would be an irrational treatment, and would not have any benefit, simply because the diagnosis will have to be confirmed even though you are competent to diagnose yourself.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you. Accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Follow-up: Diagnosed Cherry Hemangioma on labia majora, vaginal bleeding. Exercise the cause and what is remedy? 8 hours later
Answer was not helpful as I could ascertain that much from a lit search. I did find in searching that steroid application does not treat existing haemanglomas but does dissuade growth of new ones.
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 6 hours later
Thanks for the reply.

I am sorry I could not convince you with my explanation during our last conversation. Let me try today.

I gave my answer based on my clinical experience. I may not be as good browser on the internet.

Steroids are not mainline treatment, and they are to be prescribed to control extreme urgencies in haemangioma. I mentioned that no targeted drugs exist for the condition. You may as well be aware that steroids act by a general potent mechanism of inhibiting inflammatory response and mostly helpful in acute cases.They can also be used in the proliferative stage of haemangioma and not only in prevention of newer lesions. Success rates again are an issue apart from side effects.

If eradication is the goal then there is no conservative treatment, only interventions are suggested.

Either way, I never would have advised a steroid cream or any other treatment which is not backed by robust evidence.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla, MD.
Consultant Physician.