Diabetics and diagnosed with enlarged heart. Thumb is painful spreading to arms and shoulder. Cause?

I have type 2 diabetes and have been diagnosed with an enlarged heart.
For For about two months or so my right thumb has been quite painful and can get stuck at times
About two weeks ago, I woke upo in middle of the night with the pain in my thumb traveling up my right arm and into my shoulder. The only relief I was able to get was sitting up in bed and raising my right arm into the air.
Should I be even more concerned then I already am about what is causing this ?.
Posted Sun, 1 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 5 hours later
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
I have gone through your question in detail.
From the history that you have given, the pain appears to be of musculo-skeletal origin and there is nothing to worry about. Ischemic heart disease causes pain mostly on left side, but there are instances when it has caused pain in right side as well. However the pain doesnt subside on moving your thumb up in the air as in your case and hence you can be assured that the pain is not of ischemic origin.
You still need to have a good control of your blood pressure.
You should get a blood calcium evaluated. Sometimes hypocalcemia may present with such kinds of pains.
You may like to change your posture of work and sitting and start sleeping on a hard surface for a few days.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.