Diabetic with triglycerides, get frequent headaches, excessive sleep, eye pain, joint ache. Tests to be done?

Dear Doctor ,

I hope this finds you well.

since more than two month .Most of the day I have headache , I feel lazy, want to sleep , pain & stress in my eyes , fatigue , pain in my XXXXXXX and also pain in my legs joints .

I have diabetes ( 5 y ago/ controlled ) and triglycerides

What you advise me doctor and what is proper check up for me.

Thanks and best regards.
Posted Thu, 6 Jun 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 5 hours later

Thanks for your health concerns.

I definitely think that you should be seen by a provider (ideally an XXXXXXX Medicine specialist to start) who can perform a physical examination, including joints to look for any inflammation, muscle reflexes and tone and neurologic exam. The symptoms are non specific, but the differential includes metabolic causes such as low thyroid levels, anemia from different causes, obstructive sleep apnea (particularly with the headache, fatigue and need for sleep), inflammatory causes that may include several rheumatologic disorders (eg. rheumathoid arthritis, fibromyalgia, hemochromatosis, etc), infectious causes (eg. infectious mononucleosis) and others including hematologic (bone and bone marrow) disorders.
As you can see my friend, the ideal step would be to make an appointment with such specialist who can inquire extra details from some of the symptoms, conduct a very thorough head to toe, physical exam, and start with some basic tests, such as complete blood count, liver and kidney function, thyroid function, C reactive protein, etc to start guiding the rest of workup.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Wish you the best health, blessings,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Department of Medicine
Division of Cardiovascular Diseases
Mayo Clinic MN