Diabetic with mild chronic hepatitis. Advised ultrasound of liver. What could the cause be?

I am going to have an ultrasound on my liver .I am a diabetic and have mild chronic hepaptis. What are they looking for?
Posted Wed, 5 Jun 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Mild chronic hepatitis means liver inflammation present for more than 6 months.
More than 2/3 rd of chronic hepatitis cases are causes by infection from hepatitis B and C.Over a period of many years,both may lead to serious complications of cirrhosis due to destruction of liver cells and resultant scarring.
Non infectious causes of chronic hepatitis include...
Alcohol XXXXXXX auto immune hepatitis and due to medications like Isonex,phenytoin etc.

An  ultrasound or computed tomography (CT) test is done to assess the size of the liver. A small liver that appears scarred suggests cirrhosis.
Once the suspicion of cirrhosis is confirmed,a liver biopsy may be recommended. In a biopsy, a small piece of tissue will be removed from your liver and will be examined under a microscope to help determine the amount of scarring and the extent and type of liver damage
This information helps to determine the best treatment and to assess your chances of developing cirrhosis and liver failure

Anyone with cirrhosis also has an increased risk of developing liver cancer and must be screened regularly with a blood test and ultrasound examination of the liver.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck