Diabetic urostomy. Urostomy barrier does not stick on left side of my abdomen. Right side is fine. What can be done?

j cannot get my urostomy barrier to stick on the left side of my abdomen, the right side sticks fine but the left side will noy
Posted Sat, 13 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. S. Jegadeesan 3 hours later

Thanks for your inquiry.

In Urostomy, a small piece of ileum is formed as stoma and your ureter is attached to it (ureteroenteric anastomosis) and pulled through the skin. Here it is a continuous drainage and need a collecting bag.

In another type an artificial bladder is formed by a portion of small bowel. Here no bag is needed. The urine can be let out by the patients themselves through a catheter intermittently.

Regarding the bag so many types are available. Available with a long neck. Ultimately it should be fixed in a convenient position to drain. So fixing is your choice.

If this not the answer for your question feel free to ask me again.

With best wishes,
Dr. S. Jegadeesan