Ask a Urologist   »  

Diabetic, urine infection, taken Macpod 200. Should I take Levoday?

Hi I am Diabetic since last 16 years. 8 years back I developed devere urine infection which caused sever pain and contraction on the skin of my genitals. At that time I was put on levoday 500 and successfully cured. I am suffering from the same infection again and my doctor has given me mMacpod 200 this time which has failed to do anything in last four days. My doctor says I should stick to Macpod and not go for Levoday again although I dont see any improvement in my condition. Can you advise?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 14 minutes later

The best way to choose an appropriate antibiotic is by doing a culture sensitivity test from your urine sample.

This will confirm whether Macpod has decreased any bacterial load or not in the urine as well as give you a full list of antibiotics which might be effective in treating your urinary problem.

Both Levoday and Macpod are effective medicines in reducing the urinary tract infection.

Being a diabetic I will advise you to monitor your blood glucose levels also. Urinary infections are very notorious for recurrence specially in poorly controlled diabetes.

You can help reduce the discomfort by taking the following steps:

1. Follow your health-care provider's treatment recommendations.
2. Finish all antibiotic medication until you start with a fresh course after the urine culture report.
3. Take a pain-relieving medication.
4. Use a hot-water bottle to ease pain.
5. Drink plenty of water.
6. Avoid coffee, alcohol, and spicy foods, all of which irritate the bladder.
7. Quit smoking. Smoking irritates the bladder and is known to cause bladder cancer.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Diabetic, urine infection, taken Macpod 200. Should I take Levoday? 54 minutes later
Hi Doctor,

Can I go to any pathology lab and get the urine culture test done? And can I go anytime or do I need to go there with empty stomach?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.

For urine culture, it is best if you give an early morning first urine sample for culture which will be a concentrated urine and is likely to show a higher number of organisms.

There is no need to go on an empty stomach.

Almost every pathology lab will provide you the facility of this test.