Ask a Urologist   »  

Diabetic, urinary tract infection, internal fever, good appetite. Treatment ?

My mother is 80 years old. She is diabetic and often has urinary tract infection. she has been complaining of XXXXXXX fever for a month now. Her temperature outside is normal and her appetite is ok. She just feels weak. What could be the reason?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 12 minutes later

Thanks for the query,

From the description the causes of XXXXXXX fever could be one of the following:-

1. Going by the previous history of Urinary infections, it could be that your mother might be having a symptoms like burning micturition, frequency of urination , etc.

Elderly individuals with diabetes are highly prone to have such infections due to the reduced immune status as well as the high levels of blood sugar in the blood.

She might need a few tests including a urinalysis and if the tests are positive , she might benefit by a course of antibiotics for a few days.

2. Presence of diabetes related neuropathy can cause dysfunction of the XXXXXXX body temperature mechanism and cause patients to feel hot or cold sometimes, and this results in them having chills and body rigors occasionally.

She might benefit by consulting her doctor or a diabetologist and / or a Urologist who can assess her condition
1. for having recurrent UTIs , with a ultrasound of the renal system.
2. Assess her diabetic control and review her medications if needed.

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to consult me again if you have any doubts.

Dr Anvekar.