Diabetic type 2 that ran in the family. Regular check from glucometer and on euglim m2. Do other tests?

Dear Doctor,
my ht is 5.11 and my weight is 78kg, i am diabetic type 2 since last one year, it was there in my grandparents and i am on euglime m2 half tab before breakfast and dinner. i have little time to excersise and i have been checking my glucose level by glucometer its major times its in normal levels but i have not yet done the other tests what test should i get done.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Gowri Kulkarni 44 minutes later

Thank you for posting in your query.

1. Height - 5 feet 11 inches and Weight - 78 kgs.

This implies your BMI (Body mass index) is 24 (Weight/Height x Height)
Your BMI falls in normal category. This is good.

2. You have been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus and are currently taking Euglime M2 half tab twice a day. Euglime M2 contains Glimepride and Metformin. Glimepride helps in stimulating the existing pancreas to secrete more insulin and Metformin helps the sugars to be better used up by peripheral organs. You are on a good medication.

Following are the tests that all Diabetics should take.
A. Fasting blood sugars, Post lunch sugars every 3 months.
B. HbA1C (Glycosylated hemoglobin) every 3 months.
C. Creatinine and Blood Urea Nitrogen every 1 year.
D. Lipid profile, CBC, Thyroid function initially.
E. Urine for microalbuminuria every 1 year.
F. Eye test every 1 year.
G. Foot test or filament test every 1 year.
H. Blood pressure to be evaluated every 1 year..

you need to carry out a healthy life style in terms of a sugar free diet, moderate exercise regime and good rest.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Follow-up: Diabetic type 2 that ran in the family. Regular check from glucometer and on euglim m2. Do other tests? 17 hours later
mrng doctor,what and how much excersice do you suggest. and diet regime i want to know if it is possible.

i will get the test uploaded ASAP if it is possible.

thanks and lot doctor.
Answered by Dr. Gowri Kulkarni 2 hours later

Thanks again,

On the outset, I must congratulate you for being concerned about your health and wanting to improve your lifestyle.

You need to carry out about 30 minutes of moderate aerobic exercise at least 5 days a week. This could be a brisk walk / jog/cycling/swimming/playing any sport like badminton or tennis.
Your exercise should be such that you break into sweat, have a increased heart rate and should breathe heavy enough to be able to still maintain a conversation

Your diet should not contain any sweet products.
You need to have at least 5-6 portions of fruits/vegetable each day. Avoid Mango, Sapota and Grapes. Avoid very starchy veggies like sweet potato.
You need to drink 2-3 liters of water each day.
You need to cut down on salt intake to 2-4 g/day.
You need to cut down oily, XXXXXXX fried preparations and switch to baked, steamed, shallow fried preparations.
Opt for safflower/sunflower oil instead of groundnut or coconut oil.
Use only toned milk.
Say no to aerated drinks, alcohol and smoke.
Moderate rice intake and stick to whole wheat and Ragi.

Eat small 5-6 meals through the day. This will help in reducing heavy eating during lunch and dinner time

Hope I answered all your questions. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you Good Health

Dr Gowri