Diabetic, take Lantus insulin and novolog. Accidentally took Novolog instead of Lantus. Suggest?

At suppertime, I normally take 60 units of Lantus insulin, and 20 units of Novolog . My reading was 92, and I inadvertantly took 60 units of Novolog instead of Lantus (which I did not take at all). Will there be repurcusions of any kind, and what can I expect in the next couple of hours?????
Posted Fri, 2 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Omer 27 minutes later

As you have told that you are known diabetic taking lantus and novolog.

You had accidently injected novolog which is insulin aspart of 60 units when your blood sugar is 92mg/dl instead of lantus.

Insulin aspart starts working in 15 minutes with total duration of action of 3-5 hours, so you need to check your blood sugar for this duration of time and as soon as you get hypoglycemic symptoms because your sugar may dip. You can eat simple carbohydrates like juices containing sugar , milk shakes with table sugar.

You need to keep a check on your blood sugar with hypoglycemic signs like sweating , palpitations , flushing etc, and take sugar at that time like chocolates.

Donot use lantus for today , as it will lower your sugar more , from tomorrow onwards you can start both lantus and novolog at your regular time.

Hope this helps and relieves your tension.