Diabetic, take Astaxanthin and Coumadin. Will Astaxanthin affect Coumadin levels?

Will Astaxanthin affect my Coumadin levels? I now take 7.5mg daily because of 2 occurences with PE's. My doctor does not believe in anything that is not traditional medication. I have looked at Astaxanthin and like the benefits it claims to have. I want to make sure it would not affect my diabetes. I am type 2 and take medication that keeps my blood sugar at 115. My IR is usually around 2.3 to 2.7 taking 7.5mg of Coumadin daily.

Thank you XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 14 Sep 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. David Okia 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No astaxanthin will not affect coumadin levels

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your question.

Astaxanthin will not affect your Coumadin levels, I know couple of my patients that are taking it with other anti diabetic medications but from laboratory investigation I don't see any bad effects. Astaxanthin is basically food supplement.

I am happy to note that your blood sugar is well controlled keep it up.

Hope I answered your question, will be happy to help you if you need more clarifications.

Follow-up: Diabetic, take Astaxanthin and Coumadin. Will Astaxanthin affect Coumadin levels? 2 hours later
I have one more question regarding my Coumadin. I talked with my doctor regarding medications that some of my friends take that don't have the side effects of Coumadin such as risk of hematomas, monthly checks of IR levels, etc. He will not even talk with me regarding alternative medications because he said they were to new and not proven. I know there are medications available that you can take just based upon your weight with no monthly visits to the doctor and certain foods I can't eat would be available to me with other medications. Do you know of a medication that has a proven track record for people like me who are prone to blood clots?

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. David Okia 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Continue with Coumadin

Detailed Answer:
thanks for your follow up question.
based on my experience on use of some of new alternative medication I would strongly recommend you continue with Coumadin, a lot is known about it and its very effective in most of my patients. Hope I answered your question, will be happy to help you if you have more queries