Diabetic, sugar level increased after taking chanca piedra. Reason?

Geriatrics Specialist
Question
I AM A DIABETIC AND I TACHE METFORMIM AND VICTOZA .MAY NATUROPATH SUGESTED ME TO TACHE CHANCA PIEDRA ,.ONTYL NOW MAY SUGAR LEVEL WAS NORMAL, AFTER I START CHANCA PIEDRA MAY SUGAR LEVEL WENT UP.MAY QUESTION IS , WAY?
Posted Sun, 26 May 2013 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Surendiran Gaj 2 hours later
Hi there,

Thanks for writing to us,

The reason for increased blood sugar is due to possible interaction of chanca pedera with the metformin and victoza tablets.The drug interaction might nullify the effects of the drugs resulting in increased blood sugar level.

Metformin (biguanides) which is the first line drug for type 2 diabetes, helps in maintaining the blood sugar level in normal level without producing any hypoglycemia (decrease in blood sugar level). Similarly victoza( liraglutide) is an GLP 1 agonist which is used in reducing the unwanted absorption of glucose from intestine.

Now, Phyllantus curara (chancha piedra) is an liver protective anti viral drug. It has only minimal effect on reducing blood sugar level. It's interaction with the above drug might be the reason behind your increased blood sugar level.

I would suggest you to visit your treating physician and to adjust your diabetic medications. Always discuss with your doctor about possible drug interactions before commencing new regimen. It would also be beneficial if you can discontinue chanca piedrara or look out for possible drug interaction from your physician.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.