Diabetic, suffer from recurrent UTI. Using ointment Zelsa. Permanent cure?

Mar 2016

My name is XXXXX and I’m 38 years old. For over a year now….I keep having UTI and every time I get treated for goes away only to return after a while.
I was told by a doctor that since I’m diabetic, I’m more prone towards having the infection since it’s one of the illnesses that comes along with diabetics.
Also is drinking tender coconut water good for UTI?
The infection is back again and I’m using an ointment called Zelsa.
Is there a complete cure to this thing? I’m am very specific when before I use toilets etc. clean the seat, flush etc…I'm a little worked up, since I lost my mum to cervical cancer....and would like to deal with this once and for all...
Posted Thu, 10 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow the guideline.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us on Healthcare Magic.

First thing, diabetes itself is a predisposing factor of recurrent UTI) and I agree with your doctor's comment.

Here, I suggest you to undergo one urine culture and drug sensitivity test to determine underlying causative agent and for suitable treatment.

In this circumstances, I would recommend following treatment:

1) You must control diabetes or keep blood sugar within normal range by Insulin treatment as per recommendation. Diabetic diet is advisable for you.

2) Start oral or injectable antibiotic on the basis of culture report. High Sensitive drug will be effective to treat recurrent UTI. You can consult with your doctor for proper prescription after the test result.

3) Increase water intake up to 2.5 to 3 liter/ day. Coconut water is a good health drink and it can be taken as alternative .

4) Maintain genital hygiene properly to avoid ascending infection. Empty bladder in time and do not over pressure your bladder.

5) Take urine alkaliser (like Syp Uriliser) 2 to 3 times daily, mixed with water for alkalinization of urine. It is helpful to reduce infection load and recurrence.

6) Drink regular Cranberry juice 1 to 2 glass to flush out body toxin. It has supportive role in prevention of urinary infection.

Hope, I have guided you with my experience. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through
Follow-up: Diabetic, suffer from recurrent UTI. Using ointment Zelsa. Permanent cure? 30 minutes later
Hi Doc,

Thank you for the prompt it possible to get a prescription on line? May be an ointment for application...till I go visit a doctor...

Answered by Dr. S Patra 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Online prescription is not recommended.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up query.

Online prescription is not recommended without proper clinical assessment of the patient's condition and relevant test report. Kindly, consult with your treating doctor for proper prescription.

However, you can use anti-bacterial cream like Surfaz-SN or Neosporin to treat local skin infection for temporary purpose till visit to a doctor. They are available over the counter. Apply them only after proper cleaning the area.

But, you need a complete course of oral antibiotic for eliminating Good luck.

Dr Soumen