Diabetic, sensations in legs, stiffness in foot from peripheral neuropathy. On gabapentin. Suggest?

I have recently got sensations in both legs.
these feelings are not pain but they are tormenting me but its not a pain you can touch
I am type two diabetic
I have stiffness in one foot from peripheral neuropathy
I am hoping these leg feelings are anxiety which I have in a bad way but am optimistic I am on six 300g gabapentin
is my leg problem from stress how can I lessen the legs sensations. thank you
Posted Thu, 4 Jul 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 14 minutes later
Dear sir ,

I understand you are suffering with diabetes and diabetic neuropathy.

Diabetic neuropathy as you might know is a neurological condition where the peripheral nerves especially of the limbs are affected. Symptoms ranging from pins and needles, reduced sensation, burning and even restlessness are found. It generally affects patients in a glove and stocking type of pattern starting from lower limbs.

Therefore in all probabilities, your symptoms seems to be related to diabetic neuropathy. I don't think it is due to anxiety although anxiety may also present with these features.

I suggest you to see a diabetologist and get a battery of test such as blood sugar, HbA1c, Vitamin B 12 serum assay, nerve conduction test and microfilament test done. Anxiety can be considered as a second possibility if all the aforementioned tests are normal.

Until then continue gabapentin which you are already taking is also useful in this condition.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Shruti
Follow-up: Diabetic, sensations in legs, stiffness in foot from peripheral neuropathy. On gabapentin. Suggest? 41 minutes later
thank you doctor
I hope to have some tests but am I stuck with this pain all the time or can it be controlled so I can lead a normal life again
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 18 hours later
Dear Sir,

Neuropathic symptoms take time to get controlled; but you can try adding a vitamin B12 tablet to your regimen . You should consult a neurologist who can start you on amitryptyline or pregabalin etc. and modify your current gabapentine regimen.

But first and foremost the assessment is very necessary to control the main cause and starting its treatment.

Hope this answers your query.

Dr. Shruti