Diabetic patient on insulin, has hypertension. Why is there sudden pain in hand, shoulders?

my grandfather is 68 and diabetic,takes 28 units of insulin everyday,has hypeension,is not diagnosed with any neurological problem but suddenly sometimes his hand or shoulder etc pains and inflammates...i need to know the problem
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 24 minutes later

Your grandfather is an insulin dependant diabetic, hypertensive and hypothyroid. You want to know why sometimes his hand or shoulder pains and gets inflamed.

Actually diabetics often have shoulder pain that can be severe and even lead to limitation of movement (frozen shoulder). This could be a cause in his case since his post meal blood glucose seems to be high.

It could also be due to his hypothyroid status where there can be swelling on certain parts of the body where a band is present (wrist, ankle). Swelling here can lead to pain because of the nerves passing under the band into the hand and foot getting compressed.

And thirdly, it can be a part of age itself.

Please make sure that both his sugar and thyroid levels are kept under control, and he exercises regularly. Aches and pains are the bane of the old, but are better tolerated by those who exercise regularly.

I hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.