Diabetic patient. Did elisa test few months after exposure. Chances of HIV infection?

i am diabetic patient. did elisa test after 4 months of exposure. test results shows 0.007 negative over a cut off of 0.4 . can you please explain the possibility of hiv infection?
Posted Tue, 5 Mar 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 33 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

The ELISA test done after 4 weeks of exposure is taken as valid, so in your case the test apparently as NEGATIVE - as the level of antibodies in your serum is way below the cut off number of 0.4 - so the possibility of you having an HIV infection looks very bleak.

The possibility of having HIV full blown infection or not with your situation only with a ELISA test report - has to consider the following,

1. Diagnostic tests have limitations and have to be synced with clinical status.
2. ELISA is a high sensitivity test - that means it shows up as positive in a large number of patients who are really positive.

And to confirm HIV infection, a second test called Western Blot test is performed if ELISA is initially positive. To sum up, a clinical case of HIV will need a combination of ELISA and Western Blot tests to confirm initially.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla,
Consultant Physician.