Diabetic, on medicines, suffering with chronic foot and calf cramps. Help?

Infertility Specialist
Question
i AM SUFFERING FROM CHRONIC, SEVERE, DEBILITATING FOOT AND CALF CRAMPS OR MUSCLE CRAMPS FOR MONTHS-ESPECIALLY AT NIGHT OR EARLY MORNING, BUT RECENTLY, ALL DAY AND IT IS WORSENING! I AM RETIRED ARMY-30 YEARS, RECENTLY DIAGNOSED WITH TYPE-2 DIABETES (BARELY), TX W/1000 MG GLUCOFAGE BID, TAKE STATINS FOR CHOLESTEROL, NEXIUM FOR GERD, AND AM STILL ON PLAVIX 2-YEARS POST HEART ATTACK WITH STINTS. pLEASE HELP!
Posted Mon, 20 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 4 hours later

I read your query and I understand your concerns.

Following is my reply:

1) Since you are diabetic with high HbA1c values, these are symptoms related to peripheral neuropathy of diabetes. Hence I suggest you increase you physical activity / excercise and see a physician to manage your diabetes status and add vitamin B12 suppliment if necessary.

2) Second possibility could be related to necessity of thinning of blood as you have stents inserted. Please discuss with your cardiologist about leg cramps foot problems if you require blood thinning medicines.

I think diabetic management will help you more than anything

I hope I answered your query. Please get back to me if there are followup queries.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol