Diabetic medication during pregnancy safe for fetus?

Hi. I just learned that I am 9 weeks pregnant with an A1C level of 7.2 and fasting blood sugar level of 158. After lunch today it XXXXXXX to 186. I started to take 2.5 mg glyburide this morning. Im very concerned that the fetus will have possible birth defects. I am considering terminating the pregnancy so I can get healthier and try again in a few months. I am askinf for medical advice.
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 28 hours later
The state of being diabetic with pregnancy is not an indication of termination of pregnancy.Just taking a single dose of glyburide is not going to produce any detrimental effects on the fetus at all.
It is not advisable to terminate the pregnancy just because you have taken a single dose of glyburide. You now need to consult a gynecologist and regulate your blood glucose levels with the help of insulin under your expert's guidance.
Once the diabetes has been diagnosed it is likely that you will have the same raised levels of glucose during your next pregnancy also.
I would advise you to consult your gynecologist and continue with this pregnancy.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.